Records Management (RM) Trends & News
Records Management at Brandeis
News on Brandeis URM Status.
Join the Brandeis RM listserv!
January URM customer feedback survey result: 100% would recommend URM services to others in Brandeis!!
Phase II (year two Oct. 2014-Sept. 2015):
- Over 40 digitization, storage, and record shredding pilots established; > 1K boxes in managed offsite storage
- Continued stakeholder relations and retention schedule expansion
- Initial electronic records management system scoping and needs assessment
- Expanding digitization service to include Box.com repository guidance
- Developing digital redaction services
- Inaugurating legacy file share migration services
Phase I (year one Oct. 2013-Sept. 2014):
- Information gathering, stakeholder introductory meetings, program planning.
- Establishing digitization, off-site storage, and document shredding pilots.
- Beginning retention schedule draft (Registrar)
Records Management (RM) General Guidance
What is Records Management?
- We assume legal & reputational risk by keeping obsolete personal information.
- It costs the institution to store, manage & backup unnecessary information.
- E-Storage may be “cheap,” but the rapidly growing scale of information drives costs.
- Abandoning old files fills up search results with “garbage,” and it takes longer to find what we need.
- “Just in case” is not a legitimate retention need by itself.
- Regulations require us to keep some records for a long time - think tax forms and the IRS.
- In the event of litigation or audit, we have a responsibility to produce certain records promptly and efficiently.
- We have ongoing operational needs for some older documents.
- We need to keep a record of our products for reaching back into the institutional knowledge base: Memory and history.
Cleaning Out Your Collections
IMPORTANT : Do not place documents with personal information (e.g. social security numbers, home addresses) in recycling bins. These documents must be shredded or placed in secure, locked shredding bins, which can be provided by URM.